With an auto accident happening roughly every 14 seconds even the most careful drivers may be involved in an accident, so everyone should be prepared in the event it does happen. Auto accidents are unexpected and stressful but these tips can help ease the difficulties of the situation and help in reporting the claim. Starting with being prepared by carrying a set of cones, warning triangles, or emergency flares in your trunk to help alert traffic. Then in the event of an accident:
- Stay Calm - call an ambulance if it is needed and always call the police.
- Stay Safe - there are still risks with traffic, fire, injury, debris and weather.
- Stay Smart - Be courteous to others, but do not admit fault, and always protect your identity.
It’s a good idea to have a camera (camera phone) to document the accident for your auto insurance claim. Staying safe is important while taking pictures, do not take pictures if it puts you or others at risk of injury. If the situation allows take pictures of:
- License plate(s) of the vehicles involved
- Damage to other vehicles involved
- Damage to your vehicle
- Landmarks, street signs or address markers to identify the location
- Damage to any property or objects at the scene